Sunday, January 20, 2013

NFC Championship Game Preview

Headline:
Colin Kaepernick and the Niners travel to the Georgia Dome to face Matty ice and the Falcons for a ticket to the Super Bowl

San Francisco 49ers:
Just like the Patriots, everyone is picking the Niners. Is it because of their over powering physicality compared to the Falcons? Or is it because Colin Kaepernick ran like a wild man last week? Whether its either of those things, the 49ers do have a lot going for them. Last year when they had Alex Smith at the helm, they made it to the same NFC Championship game. Obviously, that is a credit to their defense who clearly remains as the top unit in the playoffs. Now imagine the possibilities. Instead of a very good game manager, San Fran can win the game offensively which was never an option before. The Atlanta Falcon defense is a bit underrated but on the "fast track" Kaepernick will show his explosive speed. Finally, I want to point out two things that could hold the Niners back in this game. A report this weekend came about that WR Michael Crabtree was being investigated for sexual assault. While no one has been arrested or prosecuted, something like this so close to game day will always be at least a minor distraction. My last point comes by way of coach Jim Harbaugh. Harbaugh went against all popular decision in the regular season when he decided to go with Kaepernick. Up to this point it has been an excellent decision. But what if this game comes down to the last drive, I know for sure Matt Ryan leads his team down the field but I don't know about Kaepernick.
Atlanta Falcons:
As a Falcon player, coach, or fan I would feel humiliated that my team is a huge underdog (by Championship game standards) in my own building. But then again, isn't this the story of Atlanta's season? Once again, the Falcons will have to prove that they belong and I feel like they've been playing with a chip on their shoulder. If this game was at Candlestick (SF home stadium) their is no doubt in my mind San Fran wins but Matt Ryan simply doesn't lose at home. I think the key to this game will be Julio Jones stretching the defense while Roddy White and Tony Gonzalez survey the open area underneath. I believe Atlanta has an excellent chance of protecting their home turf.

Prediction:
I will again go against the grain and pick the Falcons. They proved me right last week and I expect the same today. This game, as they all do, will come down to 2 drives at the end of the game. First it will be Matt Ryan leading the Falcons to take the lead and then Kaepernick's inability to get the job done. Falcons in a tight one.

Final Score:
Atlanta-27 San Francisco-23

Line:
San Fran -4.5

Over/Under:
49.0



No comments:

Post a Comment